Junior C Hurling Championship
Friday 28th July in Kinvara 


This was a cracking Junior C championship match last Friday, but unfortunately for Kinvara, it was the visitors who took the spoils. The match ebbed and flowed, with Kinvara at one stage ten points in arrears and then taking the lead, going seven points behind again, but then just finishing up short.

Ahascragh-Fohenagh took the wind in the opening half, and started the scoring with a point. Kinvara had a quick reply when Tommie Kavanagh rattled the net, quickly followed by a good Philip McNamara point from play. Ahascragh then raised their first green flag, but Kinvara’s Martin O’Connell pointed in reply (Kinvara 1-2 to Ahascragh 1-1 after 10 mins).

The next 10 mins saw Ahascragh take a firm lead, outscoring Kinvara by 2-6 to 0-1.
They first rattled off two goals, with Ger Linnane (Caheravoheen) scoring a free for Kinvara in between. Then Ahascragh slotted over 6 unanswered points to leave the scores 3-7 to 1-3 after 20 mins. 
Kinvara were in badly need of a goal, and up popped Tommie Kavanagh for his second. Ahascragh got two points in reply, but Kinvara’s Philip McNamara scored a goal to bridge the gap. A late Tommie Kavanagh free left the halftime scoreboard reading: Ahascragh-Fohenagh 3-10 to Kinvara 3-4.

For the second half Kinvara now had the wind advantage, but it was Ahascragh who pointed first to extend the margin back out to seven. But Kinvara moved up a gear to score 1-5 without reply in the next 10 minutes to take a one point lead (Kinvara 4-9 to Ahascragh 3-11). Those five points came from Oisin Fahy, Neil Huban (’65), Ger Linnane, Tommie Kavanagh (free) and John O’Donoghue (free). The goal came from a 25 metre free which Ger Linnane rifled home. 

But up came the Ahascragh reply, and they did it in style. They scored 2-2 and so by the 22th minute they now lead again by seven points (Ahascragh 5-13 to Kinvara 4-9).
With 8 minutes left on the clock, Kinvara now were back searching. Up stepped young Ger Linnane again for a 25 meter free, and again he raised a green flag. Points were added from two John O’Donoghue frees to bridge the gap to 2 points (Ahascragh 5-13 to Kinvara 5-11). Kinvara were right back in this match.

But Ahascragh went up the field and fired in 1-1 to extend the lead to 6 points again. Kinvara added two more John O’Donoghue frees to leave just 4 between then. But it was goals we needed. Kinvara did have 4 solid goal chances in the remaining 4 minutes, but credit to their keeper for pulling off some great saves. 

The final whistle blew with Ahascragh-Fohenagh beating Kinvara by 6-14 to 5-13.

This was a cracking and exciting match. Both sides will know that they both were unlucky not to have scored more goals, and also that they conceded bad goals. Kinvara just came out on top on both charts, but only marginal. We had some solid performances throughout, with all backs and goalie having their moments. Midfielders tried hard, as did the forwards.

So we have two more group matches remaining (versus Meelick-Eyrecourt and Ballinasloe) with wins required in both.

Tommie Hanlon, Danny O’Connell, John O’Donoghue, Ger Linnane (Roo), Neil Huban, Liam Kavanagh, Ruairi Quinn, Eric Keane, Oisin Fahy, Thomas Fordham, Stephen Bermingham, Philip McNamara, Tommie Kavanagh, Martin O’Connell, Ger Linnane (Caheravoheen). 
Subs: Patrick Canney for R. Quinn, Owen Whelan for T. Kavanagh, R Quinn for T. Fordham, Aidan Fahy. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *