Before our current pitch was developed and opened in 1961, there was several fields around the parish where hurling was played.
These fields included:
– convent field (where Convent Rooad Estate is)
– the windmill field at the top of the Moy Rod,
– Sonny Kavanagh’s field at the back of The Square
– Callanan’s field in Northampton
– Peter Curtin’s field.
– Connollys field
– Michael Mahon’s field in Doorus
1961 Faiche Padraig
In 1959, after various attempts of buy other fields, the committee were then offered seven acres to purchases down the Moy Road by Michael Tully.
After a huge amount of work to turn this land from “rock” or “cregg” it was a huge achievement therefore on the 16th July 1961 that our pitch was opened.
The facility at this stage consisted of simply a pitch, surrounded by a fence.
1982 Our First Dressingrooms
After years of togging out in old delapidated railway carraiges, the club finally built it’s first dressingrooms, to provide “shelter and comfort” for players. They were built by voluntary labour. The developement consisted of two new changing rooms with showers, and a referee’s room.
2002 New Clubhouse
Our number of dressingrooms of two was doubled to our existing four. Also included were new public gents and ladies toilets, a referee’s room with shower facilities. A kitchen was included for those badly wanted cups of tea!
2006 Improvement in Facilities
A new phase of work here included a wallball, running track behind the top goals, and a side pitch to be used by young juveniles or as a warm up area.